6/16/2011 1:38 PM (PST)
I agree with what William and Mike wrote.
FDCPA - Fair Debts Collection Practices Act, according to which your creditors collection agency cannot call you before 9 am or after 8 pm your local time, they are not allowed to use fowl and slang languages and threatening words over a phone line, but again this act does not restricts your original creditor from calling you and asking you the status of the debt that you owe towards them.
I would suggests you to look for few things before signing up with a company for debt settlement.
1. Is the company a law firm or a debt settlement company, always prefer a law firm
2. Is the company following new FTC guidelines as prescribed (www.ftc.gov)
3. What is the fee structure
4. Do they follow an attorney model approach or not
5. Do they have testimonials, if not how expert are they and how much knowledge do they have.
6. Are they in BBB Reliability program or BBB accredited
7. How many complains do they have in BBB are the complains resolved.
8. What is their standing or rating in BBB (example - www.angellawgroup.com has A- rating in BBB)
9. Does the company charges upfront fees or charges after settling your account with your creditor.
10. How much does the company save you from your current debt is it between 40% - 60%
Please think twice before landing yourself in a more debt full position rather getting debt free.
hope the above helps you to understand better before making a choice